A map of Kozan and its geography, as well as major cities. Brown denotes mountain ranges.
Kozan is a transcontinental country in Eastern Asia and North America, and is the setting of Chuhou Joutai. Its provinces expand from southwestern Alaska to Tokyo, Japan. The country is bordered by the US state of Alaska in Eastern Minecraftia, while Western Kozan borders Tokyo, Japan. It is located in the Northern Pacific Ocean.
Kozan is a constitutional monarchy where the power of the king and queen are limited by the rules of a written constitution. Until its independence, Kozan was an absolute monarchy. A young woman under the name of Queen Marisa established its monarchy in the early 18th century in Kozankyo; she and her descendants rule in the name of the king and queen. Right around the same time, another monarchy under the rule of Queen Yukari was established right around the same time in Horudika Canal then known as Yakumograd (or Yakumo City, if you translate that), and that was how Kozan was split into Eastern and Western divisions.
Its inhabitants were mostly comprised of individuals from Japanese lineage, but was largely colonized by the Swedish in the 17th and 18th centuries and remains a predominately western country. The country gained full independence on May 17, 1809 under Japanese and Swedish control, and the anniversary has been celebrated every year since then.
For more than 150 years, Kozan lived in peace, everything in the country was all just exploring and technological advances. Following the Meiji Restoration in 1867 and the collapse of the Western Kozan monarchy in a revolution, the location for the residence of the Kozanese Royal Family was moved to Horudika Canal, which is located across from Tokyo. This was to bring them closer to the Japanese Imperial Family. Kozan entered the Cold War after the Soviet Union invaded Kozan in 1975, and Fred Fawkes establishing the first incarnation of the Shintoist Province and Scarlet Devil of Team Crimson (SPASDOT).
The war would continue until King Kenjirou was assassinated by a Soviet spy on April 21, 1982. This led to the Kozanese Revolution, where his cousin King Soujirou rose to power and thwart the Soviets’ plot to transform Kozan from a constitutional monarchy into a communist republic as a satellite state of the Soviet Union. After a long battle, Kozan emerged victorious after the Soviets surrendered after the death of then-Soviet president Yuri Andropov in 1984.
The fighting against the SPASDOT continued for a few more years until Fred Fawkes’ wife, Hanayo Katsuragi, was arrested in late 1987, and SPASDOT dissolved after Katsuragi died of childbirth complications shortly after giving birth to her son, who would later be known as Hearthcliffe. The fighting stopped for a decade until 1997 when Fawkes decided to revive the group. And so, SPASDOT came back to life.
Just like the 1982 revolution, the civil war in Kozan is being fought by the Kozanese Royal Defense Force. SPASDOT gained global prominence in early 2003 following the Western Kozan Offensive, which was the period where SPASDOT invaded Western Kozan in 2002. Now, you are in the hands of defeating SPASDOT for the second time.
Timeline of the years in Kozan
- 1671: Queen Marisa is born.
- 1695 – 1697: A deadly outbreak of the deadly GRS (Gensokyo Respiratory Syndrome) coronavirus spreads across Kozan, killing half of the male population.
- 1698: Swedish pilgrims make their first steps into Kozan. Marisa helps the Swedish colonize Kozan.
- 1702: Queen Marisa founds the Kozanese monarchy, Kozankyo is founded as a small kingdom town as Kikankyo (literally translates to “flagship capital”).
- 1703: Kozan is split into Eastern and Western Kozan after Queen Yukari founds another monarchy at the other side of Kozan in Yakumograd (present-day Horudika Canal), after she was not happy with the Swedish colonization and wants a separate place for the youkai-borns.
- 1704: Queen Marisa of Eastern Kozan gives birth to her one and only son, the future King Kichou.
- 1705: Queen Yukari of Western Kozan gives birth to her one and only daughter, the future Queen Miyuki.
- 1727: King Kichou’s eldest daughter, the future Queen Ayumi, is born.
- 1730: King Kichou’s youngest daughter, Princess Saori, is born.
- 1752: Queen Marisa dies, Crown Prince Kichou becomes king.
- 1761: Crown Princess Ayumi’s daughter, the future Queen Mirai, is born.
- 1787: King Kichou dies, Crown Princess Ayumi becomes queen.
- 1792: Crown Princess Mirai’s son, the future King Yodo, is born.
- 1804: Queen Ayumi dies, Crown Princess Mirai becomes queen.
- 1809: Eastern Kozan formally declares independence from Sweden on May 17. This day has been celebrated every year since. Kozan becomes a constitutional monarchy as a result with a parliament and prime minister aiding the monarch.
- 1814: Crown Prince Yodo’s son, the future and infamous King Yoshiki, is born.
- 1831: Queen Mirai abdicates the throne after not being able to sustain her position as queen. Crown Prince Yodo becomes king.
- 1833: Queen Mirai dies.
- 1839: Prince Yodo’s son, the future King Hiroyuki, is born.
- 1864: King Yodo dies, Crown Prince Yoshiki becomes king.
- 1866: Prince Hiroyuki’s daughter, the future Queen Nozomi, is born.
- 1867: The Yakumograd monarchy is overthrown by Eastern Kozan and the United States in a multi-sided revolution, Eastern and Western Kozan becomes reunified as one country. The monarchy is relocated to Yakumograd and is renamed Horudika Canal.
- 1870: King Yoshiki is impeached by parliament, accused of a perjury claim and obstructing parliament. Yoshiki was convicted and removed from the throne, with Crown Prince Hiroyuki succeeding him. This marks the first time a Kozanese monarchy was impeached.
- 1889: King Emeritus Yoshiki dies.
- 1898: Crown Princess Nozomi’s son, the future King Takaru, is born.
- 1911: King Hiroyuki dies, Crown Princess Nozomi becomes queen.
- 1925: Horudika Canal is partially damaged as a result of the Great Kanto Earthquake. The rest of the Taisho Period is spent rebuilding all parts of the city that have been damaged.
- 1932: Crown Prince Takaru’s son, King Kenjirou, is born.
- 1949: Queen Nozomi dies, Crown Prince Takaru becomes king.
- 1950: Daylight savings time is first observed in Kozan, lasting from the first Sunday in May to the last Sunday in September.
- 1952: The Western Kozan provinces of North and South Horudika, and Metsuru, opt out of DST.
- 1960: The future King Soujirou is born.
- 1963: King Takaru abdicates the throne, Crown Prince Kenjirou becomes king. His older sisters turned over the request. In addition, DST is extended with the end moving to the last Sunday in October, while the start remained on the first Sunday in May.
- 1975: The Soviet Union invades Eastern Kozan, prompting Kozan to enter the Cold War.
- 1976: The communist militant group SPASDOT is founded by Frederic Sam Fawkes.
- 1982: Prince Soujirou and youkai-born commoner Kanata Kobayakawa marry, making this the first time a youkai-born married into the Kozanese Royal Family. In addition, King Kenjirou is assassinated by a Soviet spy, leading to the Kozanese Revolution with King Soujirou taking the throne.
- 1983: DST is extended again, with the start moving to the first Sunday in April, and the end remaining on the last Sunday in October. The future Crown Princess Konata is also born, and Queen Consort Kanata is assassinated on October 31 of that year.
- 1984: The revolution ends after Soviet leader Yuri Andropov dies.
- 1988: SPASOT’s first incarnation dissolves following the death of Frederic Sam Fawkes’ wife Hanayo Katsuragi.
- 1989: Kozanese Royal Defense Force recruits Susumu Takajima and Kagami Ochiai are born, on October 25 and December 21 respectively.
- 1997: SPASDOT is refounded on the internet.
- 1999: Frederic Sam Fawkes formally proclaims the new SPASDOT shogunate on Tanabata.
- 2002: SPASDOT leads the Western Kozan Offensive, which ultimately ends in the Kozanese Civil War breaking out.
- 2003: 13-year-old Susumu Takajima joins the Kozanese Royal Defense Force after pleading guilty for trying to join SPASDOT.