We would like to congratulate everyone for an excellent 2022. 2022 marked the first year of a time that we were able to experience life in a post-pandemic environment, at a time when the virus had become endemic. It has been a miracle that I had managed to survive not one, but two pandemics in my life. I’ve been through the 2009 Swine Flu pandemic that infected 10-20% of the world population at the time.
Monthly Update Cards of 2022
This gallery showed all of the Monthly Update cards from every month of 2022. You can see things have changed quite substantially. I will explain every card in detail like what I did for the previous years, in the January 2020, 2021, and 2022 updates respectively.
- January: Same outfits as usual. This is the only time Kagami Ochiai gets a hakama when she dresses in kimono. The stable release of VRoid Studio had released a few months prior, so it looks better than before.
- February: Same as last year. Driller keeps his traditional Japanese outfit while Kagami gets an updated qipao over a pink gown. Her hairstyle is also in a proper bun thanks to the ability to move and resize hair in the stable version of VRoid.
- March: The month before, Chuhou Joutai 3: Three Nights of Scarlet Abscess had just begun development, and to show off its art style, a version of their Hinamatsuri outfits was done. Driller dresses as the emperor, while Kagami is his empress consort.
- April: The duo now have proper Japanese uniforms, with Driller in a gakuran and Kagami in a seifuku respectively.
- May: Updated May Day outfits, done using Chuhou Joutai 3‘s art direction.
- June: Same as last year, but using Chuhou Joutai 3‘s art direction. Kagami is a better-looking mergirl than last year.
- July: Done to commemorate the one-year anniversary of Chuhou Joutai 2: Paraided!‘s release. Kagami now wears a proper yukata.
- August: Artworks of the duo’s appearances in the first two games were done.
- September: Redrawn version of the April card but in Chuhou Joutai 3‘s art style.
- October: To commemorate the release of Chuhou Joutai 3: Three Nights of Scarlet Abscess, the duo is cosplaying as Crown Prince Kichou (Queen Marisa’s son) and Miho Fujiwara (Kichou’s wife and eventual queen consort). And yes, it appears in Chuhou Joutai 3. You’ll have to play the game in its entirety to find them.
- November: The outfit textures were done in the Studio Emiko art direction. It’s the same as last year; this was to commemorate the release of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet.
- December: Every time a Pokémon game would release, this would give me the excuse to dress Driller and Kagami up as a prince and princess respectively. When you defeat the champion of a regional Pokémon League, you essentially become the Pokémon king or queen of that region.
Like last year, the banners included the Drillimation and Patreon pages.
Our Focus for 2023
This is the game we want to get through Whitethorn Digital in terms of publishing. This will be a collaborative project.
Touhou Kourinden ~ Mythos of Phantasmagoria is a role-playing game that combines Sierra’s AGI engine mixed with JRPG exploration and battles in the vein of Undertale, Pokémon, and Final Fantasy. Set in Kozan during the Edo Period, Touhou Kourinden aims to tell a coming-of-age story of Kourin (real name Rinnosuke Morichika) as he grows from childhood to an adult and eventually the consort of Queen Marisa, the first monarch of the Federal Kingdom of Kozan.
This story-driven game will consist of six acts, with the third act almost done as of this posting. Simply put, the game is almost halfway done. As you play, you will encounter faces of good and evil, develop relationships with Kozan’s townsfolk, fight against the monsters and outlaws that roam the land, and explore Kozan as you seek to put an end to the antics of the Gensokyo Socialist Order (the precursor to SPASDOT in Chuhou Joutai).
Who is Whitethorn Digital?
Whitethorn Digital is a game developer and publisher with a focus on creating accessible, low-stress titles. That’s how we are making Touhou Kourinden. We want the player to easily understand the game the moment they pick it up and start playing. We are also making a commitment to ensure they can play and continue fighting without much of a penalty if they lose.
Incidentally, Drillimation Systems and Whitethorn are both based in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Have a Good 2023
Did you see the State of the Prophet Driller for the first quarter of 2023? Here it is below:
We wish you luck in 2023!