Below are the most common questions asked regarding issues running the game. Please note we do not cover gameplay advice, so if you need tips we recommend you browse Drillipedia on Gamepedia instead of viewing this page.
Regarding purchasing the game
How come you don’t accept PayPal for payments?
Well, we found Stripe to be the easiest way to gather funds from all of our projects. So that way, we encourage all players to use their credit/debit cards to pay for our products.
All players under 18 years of age must have parental consent before purchasing any of our products digitally. You are also responsible for paying your parents back.
I’m having trouble making a purchase for any of your products. What can I do?
If you cannot purchase any of our products, try the following steps below:
- Make sure you’ve entered everything correctly. Also, make sure the card you’re using is not past its expiration date.
- Contact your bank for assistance. Some banks have strict policies that block certain websites from making transactions to your debit/credit card.
I can’t afford any of your products. Do you offer any discounts?
If you’re interested in saving money, we do offer discounts throughout the year on both Steam and itch.io. Please note that we have to wait at least a month after a discount on Steam in order to run a new one.
I purchased the game on itch.io, but how come I can’t find it on Steam?
You should be able to download the game after you pay. You don’t need Steam to play it. If you want to put the game on your account, you will need to request a Steam key from us, which you can request by firing an email to email@example.com.
Regarding starting the game
The game won’t start on my Windows 7 PC. What’s the problem?
In January 2020, Microsoft discontinued support for Windows 7. This means newer Drillimation games starting from Touhou 2: The Story of Eastern Wonderland NES Demake may or may not run on a Windows 7 PC. To tell you the truth, the OS was 11 years old at the time of its discontinuation. Back in 2009, you may have gotten a new TV, a new phone, a new car, or even a new PC. If you want to enjoy Drillimation’s newest adventures, you will either need to upgrade to Windows 10 or purchase a new PC.
The game was misidentified as unsafe by my anti-virus software. What can I do?
Almost all of Drillimation’s games should be free of viruses and/or malware. If your anti-virus software mistakenly identified the installer as unsafe, then you need to have the manufacturer of your anti-virus software whitelist it. In addition, read our support article about this.
Here are some links to reporting false positives:
- Norton (Norton is notorious for reporting new files as unsafe, even though they aren’t.)
I cannot install the game because my computer says I have insufficient permissions.
We do have a .ZIP format for the demo. If you cannot run the installer due to insufficient permissions, you can run the game from a .ZIP archive. We always try our best to make the game as accessible as possible for people of many different ages. To help curb piracy, we won’t always offer the full game in .ZIP format.
I’m trying to run the game, but it won’t start because it cannot initialize D9 D3D surfaces or something.
This can happen for a variety of reasons, but the most common cause of this problem is if you don’t have enough graphic resources on your video card.
To avoid this, try the following suggestions:
- Check to make sure that all other applications are closed. Chuhou Joutai requires 1GB of RAM to run. Some programs that commonly run in the background are third-party virus scanners and/or screensavers. Of course, you may end up using more RAM if you are using screen recording programs (such as SnagIt, Camtasia, or OBS) if you’re recording playthroughs of the game for YouTube or Twitch.
- Try running the game on a lower resolution. Chuhou Joutai requires a resolution that is approximately 800×600 pixels.
- Make sure that all your video card drivers and your version of DirectX are up to date. Older versions of selected video card drivers will not work correctly with our games.
- Make sure you are not using too much VRAM, as this can also cause this issue.
If none of the above worked, then it appears to be you are using a video or graphics card that isn’t designed for the game. Contact the manufacturer of your video card for any suggestions.
I want to run the game on a Mac, Linux, or Chromebook machine. What can I do?
Generally, .exe files aren’t designed to run on systems other than Windows. However, there is a workaround for this. For users of Macintosh machines, you can download WineHQ, which is a free application for running Windows applications on Macintosh machines.
Users of Chromebook machines will need to have CrossOver for Chrome OS, which is still in beta testings and you can also download for free. Although not always guaranteed to work, it should be able to run most Windows apps on Chromebooks.
The game receives no input when using a gamepad on Macintosh. What can I do?
Unfortunately, GameMaker doesn’t support gamepads on Macintosh computers, meaning you’re stuck to a keyboard. If you prefer not to use a keyboard, you can use Enjoyable (click here to download it for free) from Yukkuri Games to map your gamepad.
What do I do if I find a bug (e.g., game crashes with an error message, game behaves other than intended, game freezes/crashes at a certain point)?
We always do our best to crush all of the bugs during the development of all of our games. If you happen to find one, please report it on the game’s discussion board on itch.io or the game’s Github page. Here are some instructions on how to report the bug:
- When reporting the bug, check to see if the bug you’re reporting is already covered in another post. This is to prevent duplicate reports. If it is, then you’re free to join the discussion.
- Summarize the problem in the title. Be specific, and avoid using one-worded summaries such as “help!!”
- Include details on the problem and steps on how to reproduce the bug.
While I’m on the topic of freezing, the game may lag during intense bullet sequences. This is normal and is not a programming quirk. Also, we do not recommend you use macros or other third-party programs as a way to cheat in any of our games. That would be a violation of our End User License Agreement and can void your warranty.
Click here to see the list of past issues that were resolved.
I’m using a European or other non-English keyboard, and the positions of either Z, X, and/or Shift are in inconvenient locations.
In some cases, you can use WASD and the numpad (available only on some keyboards) to play. You can also use a gamepad (an Xbox One controller or a Bluetooth-compatible gamepad is recommended). You can also use Enter to confirm.
I accidentally selected Japanese in the language select screen when I launched the game for the first time, and I can’t figure out a way to change it back to English because I cannot read Japanese.
To change the language to English, select the fifth option in the main menu. Next, select the fourth option, and then pick English. You should be good to go!
I’m not hearing any sound from the game.
If you aren’t hearing any sound, try the following methods to resolve it:
- Make sure your computer’s audio is not muted. Adjust the volume slider to the appropriate level. Setting the volume too high can damage your speakers and/or hearing.
- Make sure the audio settings in the game are not muted. To resolve it, go to Options > Audio Settings > Music/SFX volume.
- Check to make sure your audio driver is up to date. If that doesn’t solve the problem, try reinstalling your audio driver.
Microsoft has a whole page dedicated to fixing audio issues. Click here to read it.
I think the sound effects or music is too loud and they hurt my ears. Can I turn it down?
Yes you can. You can do so in the Options menu and selecting “Music/SFX volume” in the Audio options. When playing the game, set the audio volume to a reasonable level. Setting the volume too loud can damage your speakers/headphones and your hearing.
The text size is too small and I can’t read it. Can I change the text size?
You can change the game to hi-res mode in order to make everything bigger. However, hi-res mode is only available to users whose monitors are 1600×900 or higher. You can change that by going into Display Settings in the game’s options menu.
Unfortunately, you cannot change the text size, due to the amount of programming that would have to be done. To get the best experience, we recommend you play the game on a 1080p monitor in high-res mode.
The game runs slowly or becomes unresponsive sometimes.
Slowness on a computer can be difficult to diagnose, but the most common cause of this problem is if your computer doesn’t meet the system requirements for playing the game. If your machine doesn’t meet the system requirements, you could experience slow or choppy gameplay, essentially making it difficult to complete tasks. If you have insufficient graphical and/or processing hardware, the game may run too slowly, even during intense scenes of danmaku.
To ensure optimal gameplay, try these suggestions:
- Make sure that all other applications are closed. Also, never run any CPU or GPU-intensive programs while playing the game. Some programs that commonly run in the background include third-party virus scanners and screensavers.
- Uninstall any bloatware installed on your machine.
- Scan your computer for viruses to ensure no malicious programs are interfering with your computer’s resources. If you don’t have anti-virus software installed on your machine, you can download and install Microsoft Security Essentials for free here.
- Disable graphical effects such as Windows Aero and/or taskbar transparency.
- If you’re playing on Linux, disable compositing/desktop effects. When disabled, all window managers give similar performance without the need for a lightweight one.
- Install all available system and driver updates until your machine reports it is up-to-date. If you recently updated your graphics card or driver, the game may lag a little as it needs to get used to the new system.
- We recommend you place your system in a cool environment. If you’re using a laptop, use a cooling pad.
- Try playing the game in windowed mode and in low-res mode.
I’m on a certain level or boss in the game that seems impossible! Any advice?
Unfortunately, we can’t give you gameplay advice, so if you need tips on how to get through a game, we recommend you browse Drillipedia instead. All stages and bosses should be beatable – and we can make updates to balance gameplay.
Will you translate the game to my language?
Currently, only a Japanese translation is available. We understand there are players who want to play the game in their respective language, and we will make announcements if we plan on localizing in another language.
I’m having trouble unlocking achievements or uploading high scores to Steam.
If you cannot unlock achievements or upload high scores to Steam, read this article here.
What happens if I reset the game to factory settings?
If you intend to reset to factory settings, keep in mind this will remove all your high scores and unlocked achievements. This will also remove any changes you made to the game’s settings. We recommend doing this if you intend to donate or sell your copy of our games secondhand. Therefore, this will make it harder for the next owner to recover content you removed. Remember, once you do this, you will not be able to recover any deleted data, so be careful.
How do I transfer/back up my saved data to another machine?
So, you just bought a new computer, or you’re upgrading to a new operating system or reformatting it, but you don’t want to lose all your awesome high scores and achievements? It’s easy, just follow these steps:
- Go to the location on the old PC where you installed Chuhou Joutai.
- On Windows, type %appdata% and push Enter. Find the folder that reads “Chuhou_Joutai”.
- Copy the entire folder onto a USB drive or other storage device.
- Plug in the new USB drive/storage device into your new PC, and drag it into the location of whatever you desire.
If you’re playing the Steam version, your data is automatically backed up to the Steam Cloud, meaning you don’t need to do anything. All you need to do on the new machine is log in with Steam, install the game, and your data should be there.
My issue isn’t listed.
If your issue is not listed, please consider firing an email to our ticket system (located on the home page). Please note we can only speak to users who are at least 13 years and older due to COPPA regulations. If you’re younger than this, you will need to have a parent or guardian help you through the process.