We would like to congratulate everyone who was able to get through 2021. 2021 was supposed to be the year of restoration from the coronavirus pandemic, but we only got through an estimated halfway point thanks to the Omicron variant. Despite this, welcome to 2022, and we hope to complete the restoration process by the end of this year as well!
Monthly Update cards of 2021
This gallery showed all of the Monthly Update cards from every month of 2021. You can see my art style has changed and evolved throughout. I can explain every card in detail like what I did from the January 2021 Monthly Update when that year began.
- January: Same outfit as usual for the card featured. Just the duo dressed in their traditional Japanese clothing that starts and ends years. Now in the same art direction as the other Drillimation games.
- February: Basically the same thing for the February 2019 card back when it got posted on Dream Logos Wiki. Driller keeps his traditional kimono and hakama, while Kagami Ochiai dresses up in a Taoist-inspired outfit with a qipao over a traditional gown.
- March: Same as usual on all March cards to commemorate Hinamatsuri. This is now a pixel-art rendition instead of the usual pre-rendered graphics.
- April: Same thing as usual from previous years. This was the first time to depict them in their realistic looks.
- May: You might think they are getting ready to be married, but no. They were dressed like that for May Day, where a girl dresses up in a white gown to personify the May Queen. The last time they did this was in 2019.
- June: Same thing in 2020, now with a more realistic spin to it.
- July: Shows the duo dressed in their summer festival clothes. This was in anticipation for the release of Chuhou Joutai 2: Paraided!, which released the following day the July 2021 Monthly Update was put out.
- August: Driller gets his regular outfit, while Kagami dons the outfit she wears in the Touhou Project NES Demakes.
- September: Same as usual for all previous years. Again, the designs are now realistic.
- October: A throwback to what Drillimation did in 2019. The cosplays for Driller and Kagami this time included Sans from Undertale and Yuyuko Saigyouji from Touhou Project respectively.
- November: In anticipation for the release of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, the duo wear the same outfits they wore in the November 2019 card.
- December: Driller keeps his outfit in the previous card, while Kagami dresses up in a winter outfit to close out the year.
All banners include the Drillimation and Patreon pages.
What’s new for 2022?
The intentions for 2022 include three game projects, one of which is now in development and the other two are in pre-production.
Touhou 4: Lotus Land Story NES Demake
The fourth NES demake of the PC-98 Touhou Project games is halfway through development. We will be releasing the trailer for it next week and the game is scheduled to be released on February 11, 2022.
Touhou 5: Mystic Square NES Demake
Did I really need to announce this project early? This project is also in pre-production as well. We are anticipating a June 2022 release date. There’s nothing else I can share with you at the moment. Development time may be shorter because the same engine and gameplay mechanics (with a few differences) will be used.
Untitled mystery game
Almost once a year, I am expected to do a project that would be considered by anyone to be epic. Remember Chuhou Joutai 2: Paraided!? That project was epic. What will be next in 2022 or even 2023? Only time and my brain can tell.
We hope the world will be restored by the end of 2022, and we hope to get all three of those projects done and out. This mystery game will also be on Steam as well.